Thursday, September 10, 2009

The "Oh" face

Get your minds out of the gutter, I said "oh" not "O." Geesh..

Sex and the City is probably one of the greatest TV shows of all time, but that's not the moral of my story. Who doesn't remember that episode, right after Carrie and Aidan had broken up due to Carrie's sleeping with Big (it was totally fate just doing its thing.) You remember this episode (unless you don't watch SATC because you live under a rock) Carrie unfortunately ran into Aidan's new gal pal, Nina Katz. I put it in italics because you have to say her name in the voice that says, "devil woman." Moving on, I don't really remember what was said, but basically Carrie tells Nina who she is and Nina gives Carrie, dun da dun, "the face." Oh you remember, and you are probably making that face right now, I am. Oh no she didn't! Oh, yes she did! Of course, Carrie and the gals analyzed "the face" and we all watched as Carrie eventually confronted Nina about, "the face."

But let's be honest, we have all received the face, or given the face ourselves. In the past week I have been the giver and the receiver of the "Oh" face. What is that oh face you ask? Well, for instance, I was at one of my friends apartments, and I use the word friend loosely, and asked her who she was going to the game with. She told me she was going with boy. My response? A very awkward, "Oh." Why? This boy is the same boy who just dumped her for the 3rd time a week ago. So obviously, it caught me off guard and I didn't know how to respond, so all that came out was a very awkward oh face. Now you are catching on.

Giving the Oh face is awkward, you immediately start with "What I meant is, that's great news!" (lie) But honestly, you can't save an oh face, my advice? Let it go, say your oh and walk it off.

Giving is awkward, but nothing pisses me off more than receiving. For instance, I had an interview for a position in my sorority which I was very nervous about. The position comes with a lot of pressure and I am already stressing over if I can handle it. But that's another story. As I was waiting to go in, I was talking to a fellow sister who asked what I was interviewing for, when I told her she got a confused look on her face and said, "Oh." My blood boiled in like, 2 seconds. I was already nervous and on edge so I snapped back (so unlike me) and said, "um, yeah." (I also gave a mean look, again, unlike me.) She immediately started stuttering and trying to fix herself while I am thinking to myself, thanks a lot b*tch! So as I walked away, I had two emotions hit me. My first reaction was, how dare she?! I wanted to call all my friends and tell them what had just happened and then we could all join together and say, "Oh no she didn't!" But then, I had a thought. That is exactly the reason I want to do this. I was interviewing for this position because I wanted it and I knew I could do it. I'll admit, I am a bit of an under dog, I know people don't really know what I am capable of. I know that people hear that I'm going after this position and give the oh face. But that's OK with me. I want the oh face. My ultimate goal is to prove to people that I can and I will rise to occasion and do my very best. I want Oh faces because I intend to give people the good kind of oh face at the end of all this. (Outta the gutter, still not that O, wrong blog for that kinda talk.) I want people to see what I can do and say "Oh...wow." I nailed my interview and I honestly think that this girl's oh face was the reason why. I was so nervous and was doubting myself and honestly about to talk myself out of it, and this girl reminded me of exactly why I wanted this in the first place. So bring on your "oh" face, because I'm bringing my A-game.

No comments: