Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nice girls finish last.

If you have a pulse, then you have at least heard about the disaster known as The Bachelor. I have been a Bachelor fan since the beginning. I was all over Trista and Ryan's relationship ( I picked him from the start!) As we all know, I am a huge fan of love, so a show whose main goal is to help singles find love, I'm all over it! Unfortunately, the only problem with this show is that I am not allowed to pick who gets a rose. If I were able to decide, there would be many more bachelor marriages happening! So like I said, if you have a pulse, you have heard about the Tenley vs. Vienna saga. If you haven't, then you really need to get out more often. A quick re-cap: There was Tenley, America's Sweetheart, the nicest, classiest, sweetest girl you have even seen. She pretty much fell out of a Disney movie. I couldn't imagine a more perfect wife, mom, friend, etc. Then you have Vienna. 23 year old Florida girl with an extremely sketchy past that includes stripping and a 3 week marriage. Sounds like a total winner, right? Honestly, there was no comparison between the two. But, in true guy fashion, Jake (The Bachelor, for those of you who live in 1980,) chose Vienna. It was literally the choice heard 'round the world because in that moment, every girl in the world screamed in agony.

While watching this train wreck of a Bachelor finale, I thought to myself, "Jake just proved what we all know, Nice girls always finish last." As we watched Tenley drive away, STILL being too nice and keeping her composure like a true lady, we all knew that the wrong girl had been chosen. Here Tenley was, the nicest girl in the world, heart broken. We all know Jake picked Vienna because she screams "SEX." Jack said many times he had a "natural physical connection" with Vienna, while he was worried about the "lack" of physical connection with Ten-Ten. We all know this means that Tenley was a lady and wouldn't throw herself at him, which is apparently what he wanted.

So why is this, that nice girls finish last? Or do they? Maybe we just think of it as "last place" because it is the here and now. All humans want instant gratification, we are extremely selfish. Later is never good enough and waiting is never an option. As a single girl, I despise when people say, "he's out there!" OK, how about you go "out there" and bring him to me, now. We see today as finishing last. Tenley didn't find love today, so she "lost." But 5 years from now, Vienna and Jack could be divorce, and Tenley could be happily married to the guy of her dreams, who finished last this time? We look at single girls and feel pity for them, which as a single girl there is NOTHING worse than this. We aren't finishing last because we aren't in a relationship at the moment, we just aren't finished running the race yet.

I would be lying if I said I was completely content with being single and watching girls around me find love. But I just know that I am not losing anything by being single. I am just not there yet. My day will come, I am not finishing last, or in any place for that matter. I am just now starting the race.

No comments: