Friday, December 26, 2008

Why yes, I'm single...

Every good southern person knows, that you spend your entire life planning to get married. Boys start at a young age going to work with their dad learning how to work, learning the family business, and learning, well, how to be a man. Boys are expected to be able to fix a car, work on the house, fish, grill a steak and bring home the bacon. Girls on the other hand, are taught to sew, to cook, to clean, how to take care of children, and all those mommy things. It starts when your an infant, you hear stories of how your parents met, married at 21 and had 3 kids by 27, seems easy enough, right? Well, times, they are a changing, but unfortuantely the south hasn't caught on. I have lived that life, I have been watching momma closely, learning the things she does. I have had my wedding planned since I was 12, I have a book. I know how to clean and how to change a baby's diaper. I can cook, well, I'm getting there, I can bake ok. I'm in college, majoring in PR, I've interned at the nation's capitol but why is it that I feel incomplete? Did I mention that I am single? Everytime I come home everyone asks, "So who are you dating these days?" I mean, why can't we talk about other things? I'm very aware that I have no man and that I am quickly approaching 20 which yes I know is an age many people get married at. Is there a need to rub my single-ness in? And why is it that I am programmed to feel incomplete without a man? Is it really wrong to be single? And why do I want a boyfriend so bad? Its the way of life I suppose. Is there something wrong with me because I am single? Everyone keeps saying, "he's out there somewhere" well where the hell is he? and why cant he just stop hiding already? You spend your life preparing for marriage, but where do you find the man? There must be some rule book I forgot to read, or some trick no one ever told me. Maybe I'll start a new tradition, the southern blonde that wasn't married at 25...

No comments: