Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Froggy goes a courtin'

All fabulous Southern blondes have heard their grandparents and maybe even their parents say the word, "courting." For all of you yankees out there, courting was how dating was done in the good ol days. Now since I'm no dictionary, I'll cheat just a tad, court.shipn. 1. The act or period of wooing a woman. (American Heritage Dictionary, 1981) Courting was the way to go before internet, facebook, myspace, texting, sexting, email, cell phones, way back in the day when if a guy wanted you he actually had to get off his lazy beehive and do something about it, now that would be nice wouldn't it? These days, you just hope and pray that after a night of drinking that guy you think you met at a bar and your pretty sure he was sober, finds you on facebook. Now that's aiming high, because not only would he have to remember you, but he would have to remember your name! All the time I hear people say, "Chivalry is not dead!" Ok honey, what planet do you live on and how do I move there? Now, let me say something to calm all of you down who think I've lost it, I totally agree that there are some true gentlemen out there, true southern men, (if you know a good one, feel free to give him my number ;) .) The scariest thing in the world is the fact that there is now e-match making! I mean come on people, go out and mingle! Its too easy for the guys to find the girls, but its so hard for the girls to find what they want! When did dating become so difficult? Why is it so uncommon to meet a nice boy, have a good conversation, him ask for your number and to have dinner with you. Then he calls and scheduels said dinner and he picks you up by coming to the door, walking you to his car, opening your door for you and being a gentlemen the entire time! How sad is it that we consider it cute when he sends you a text, or a facebook chat? When was the last time a male called, and by called i mean your phone actually rang, and asked you to dinner, or better yet, just talked. We girls spend our life searching and waiting for Mr. Right, meanwhile Mr. Right is sitting on his lazy bum. Where are our southern values going people? I understand that times are changing, but does the way we date and find our mates (rhyme) have to change too? Instead of looking cute and presentable and waiting for the magic moment when our eyes meet across a crowded room am I now supposed to come up wtih a catchy screenname and log into a dating service?! It gives me such a headache. I've always dreamed of meeting Mr. Right like this: I'm at a friends party, mingling and looking super cute in my brand new Lily dress with perfect little wedges to match, my hair slightly curled and newly high lighted, I'm laughing with friends when he spots me. He, in his pastel colors and a collar, comes over and introduces himself, he has a very southern name, something with more than one syllable and we converse for hours. At the end of the night he askas to see me again and arrangements are made. Bada-bing bada-boom, we're married with 2 kids and a dog. Happily Ever After. Now, I think we can all agree that that sounds a lot more wonderful than, You've Got Mail. So I say, it's time for boys to go back to 1950, and learn how to catch a fabulous southern blonde because at this right, all the boys are worthy of is some chick who thinks she can wear white all year round (wrong,) have "help" in her chest area (wrong,) shop at Goody's and call it couture (really wrong), she also thinks no one can tell that her Louis is fake (oh yes I can,) and she drinks her tea unsweet and says you guys (oh. my. gracious.) Is this what we really want for our southern men? Step it up boys, we are waiting to be wooed.

No comments: