Monday, August 31, 2009

Friend, Frenemy, same thing..

There's a quote out there, I believe it is from Dr. Seuss (obsessed) and it goes something like, "Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” I have heard this quote numerous times, but today I realized its true meaning. I have a friend going through a difficult situation that we all have been through, if you say you haven't then you are lying! (Liar, liar, pants on fire!) She has fallen for a boy and (drum roll) he just happens to be one of her friends exes. (Gasp.) Now, before you go judging, because you probably are already thinking, who would do such a thing?! I know that we have all been there, maybe you have been the victim or maybe the do-er, either way, it is a familiar scenario. Now, I have been in this situation but it was back in high school. I had the typical absolutely gorgeous best friend, so naturally all the boys wanted her instead of me. So you can guess that I got used to guys breaking up with me and going to her. I'll be honest, I hated it, I felt so ugly, I never understand what was wrong with me! I finally got used to it! How awful is that? Well, listening to my friend go through this now, I realized something. We "friends" are not very friendly. What kind of friend tells you that if you date their ex from 2 years ago they will never speak to you again, that's just heartless. Dating is a game, you break up and you move on. If your best friend finds happiness, and it just so happens to be with a guy you once dated, so be it! As friends aren't we supposed to want each other to be happy? Since when are we allowed to say, "I want you to be happy, as long as I approve of your happiness." WRONG!! I know, some of you are yelling at me right now, because of the rule. Well, I disagree with that stupid rule. Unless your ex is your baby daddy, or you were engaged to him, he is free property sister!! If you care that much about your ex moving on, maybe you still have feelings for him and that's a whole new issue. I think it just really burns me up when I see so called 'friends' fighting over really mundane issues, like this. I realized that the only friends you need in your life are the ones who truly, truly want you to be happy. Even if that means dating their ex, if you are happy, they are happy. That's why I realized that it is true, those who mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind.

No comments: