Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hi, my name is Long Blonde Hair

So, today I got my hair done. Yes, I know that sounds like absolutely nothing. But, on this day, the 25th of August in the year 2009, I cut 3 inches off my long hair and added more low lites. (Gasp.) So my life long identity of Long Blond Hair, just became, Shoulder Length Dirty Blond. After leaving the salon, I was on a hair-high. I felt like I could do anything. I wanted anyone and everyone to see the new me and I wanted to tell the whole world to know that I was reborn. Now, yes, I realize that it is just hair, but I imagine that the rest of the girls in the world (or at least most of them) can relate. So I started thinking, why is it that a woman's hair can become her identity? My long, blond hair was me. It was who I was, it fit my personality, it fit everything about me. My name might as well have been long blond hair. But now, I feel so new. I feel like a brand new person. The world is mine all because I am now a shoulder length dirty blond. I am in a weirdly good mood, the sun is brighter, the sky is bluer, everything is right with the world. Now, after about a week, the newness will fade and I will go back to being me again, but until then, I have a new lease on life. It's no coincidence that when girls go through rough times, (break-ups, job changes, major life changes, etc) that the hair always, always changes. We chop it off, dye it, curl it, straighten it, dye it, something for a change. Hair is something that is ours, it is mine, I control my hair. No one can touch my hair, no one can have any say so on my hair, it is all mine. I think it is a power thing for girls, making a drastic change to our hair is our way of rebelling, acting out, making a statement, whatever. I think my hair change has come from boredom, uncertainty, stress, just wanting a change, wanting something new, and since I can't really make any life changes, I changed my hair. So, I think getting your hair done is the best thing you can do for yourself. Instead of spending money on a massage, go get a trim, or a blow out, or even just a shampoo from a salon. You will become a new woman and it will get people to notice you, after all, who doesn't love attention and compliments?

No comments: