Thursday, May 28, 2009

Big fish, small fish, red fish, blue fish

In class today, we were on the topic of organizations and how they work, how they operate, yada yada. We got to talking about how someone bosses or big CEO's forget that once upon a time, they were the intern, or the newcomer, at one time they too were scared to death of walking through the office doors. Well, here on campus right now they are having orientation for incoming freshman. Let me just say, I think we are one of if not the only school that has an orientation so detailed that it is literally a camp, it lasts 3 days and you have a counselor. I think its a little unnecessary but that's a whole different topic. Point being, this got me to thinking, or should I say going down memory lane. I remember my freshman days, (yes I do realize I am only a junior.) It really is hard to believe that I am halfway done with college (scary, halfway to the real world.) I remember the excitement, the hope that you have for all the great things to come. I remember being so optimistic about the things to come. I knew college was going to be amazing. Campus seemed so big at first, but now, it seems so small. It doesn't seem as great anymore, I don't get a rush of excitement driving downtown, I don't light up when I pass someone wearing my school's hat or shirt. After a while, you lose the meaning of why you came here, I remember the moment I decided to come here. I was so mesmerized, so in love with everything I saw, and this was before I even got out of the car. Its sad that this feeling has to go away. This is true in all areas of life, as we grow up we forget the little things, how exciting small things used to be. I feel we all grow up and just lose that excitement for life. So I am going to try and take some time and small at small things, take some time to notice the young freshman on campus who couldn't be more excited and nervous, or the old couple holding hands downtown, or even just look around at where you are and remember how you felt the first time you saw it.

No comments: