Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Congratulations, You're Single!!

I have turned into a night owl recently, not by choice, I just can't seem to go to sleep these days. But, staying up late at night gives me extra hours to watch TV, read or simply just think. Yesterday, I was reunited with people I haven't seen in at least a year, if not more. We all chatted about life, what we've been up to, and it seems like many of them had relationships to talk about. Someone was getting married, someone was pregnant, someone was engaged, someone was trying to get engaged, everyone had something. And then, there's the infamous, horrible, disgusting question, "What about you, are you seeing someone?" To which of course I get to respond with, "no, I'm not." (One of these days I'm going to think of something clever to say..) These situations always make me (the single girl) the victim. Once you answer with "no, I'm not dating anyone," you instantly get the, "Oh." And then comes the look, the overwhelming look of pity on their face. I just don't know how being single became something that deserved pity! Why don't we feel sorry for the people who are in relationships, why do we only feel sorry for the singles? I love my friends, but in the group, I am the token single girl. Every time we all get together, I get to be entertained by their stories of their not so great relationships. It really just disgusts me to hear all the stupid things these jerks are doing, but that's another story. Point is, when I hear them go on about how not so great their relationships are, I learn to appreciate my singleness. I don't have a man holding me back, questioning my where abouts, no ball and chain to tie me down! Since when is that something to pity? I see so many amazing and cute girls date total losers for fear of being single. Most girls would rather date a chump than be single, (and we wonder whats wrong with our country these days.) So honestly, I think I am the lucky one, now don't get me wrong, I'd love to be in a relationship, but I'm not going to settle for just anyone. Why sacrifice perfectly good single me time for a loser? Why is it the norm for singles to be pitted and made uncomfortable, society makes us feel ashamed because we don't have a partner. Honestly, I think its the ones in relationships who deserve the pity, not us. I say a congratulations is in order to all my single ladies, here's to being single and ready to mingle.

No comments: