Wednesday, May 27, 2009

College

I don't know if any of you have heard the song, "I love College" by Asher Roth. Well, let me just say, typical boy. This song really bothers me, and I mean really. Which brings me to the question, why do people go to college. College is not cheap, oh no no, have you ever sat down to look at the numbers? I mean, tuition by its self, especially for us out of state folks, is outrageous, then you have to add in books, living, sorority/fraternity dues, its nuts! Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I go to class every day, go to the library every night and never step foot downtown. However, I realize the importance of this so called education that I am getting here. I realize that I am not paying, 'scuse me, my father is not paying for me to party every single day. Where I grew up, college wasn't something people talked about. No one even thought about going to college, shocking I know. I was the weird one who not only wanted to go to a university, but out of state! I think we all forget what a privilege it is to go to college. Now, I do go to one of those big huge fabulous southern university where most of us are just living on daddy's money, but, I still think we should all be thankful. What I'm really saying, is I don't understand why people like Mr. Roth's song so much, I mean, yeah I love college too but for extremely different reasons! I love going to class and meeting people, football games, sorority life, walking around campus and seeing friends, walking around shopping downtown. There's plenty more to college than partying like a rock star, I'd love to know where Mr. Roth went to college, if he did at all, and what kind of grades he made.

No comments: