Thursday, June 4, 2009

Humbling Reminder

I think that every now and then God sends a long something to hit us in the head and remind us how blessed we really are. I often get caught up in my own life and in my own problems and forget that there are many, many people in this world who have it way worse than me. I forget how lucky I am all too often. In one of my classes we are working on a group project, I got to talking with a girl in my group and what I learned about her shocked me. She was telling me that she is getting married at the end of the month, sounds amazing right? She has been engaged for 8 years, she gave birth to her son right when they got engaged, she knew she couldn't afford a wedding so they have been saving up for 8 years! An engagement is something I get so excited dreaming of, I'll get engaged and have about a year to plan the perfect wedding and never bat an eye about who will pay for it all. On top of saving up for her wedding, she works the night shift at the children's detention center, I can't even begin to imagine what that job is like not to mention working through the night. She then told me that she pays for school her self. So lets recap, planning a wedding, has an 8 year old son, works all night long, goes to school during the day and pays for school her self. Wow. I think my life is hard and I don't do anything other than go to school which I definitely don't pay for myself. It reminded me that I am so blessed that I can't even comprehend what living her life would be like. It reminded me to stop and just be thankful for all that I have. I genuinely wish that everyone could be blessed like I have been but I know that isn't possible. People like this girl in my class show me that some people really do struggle and people really have it hard. Next I get stressed out and think that my life is tough, I will think of this girl and remind myself to stop whining, life could be a lot worse.

No comments: