Monday, October 26, 2009

Think before you buy

So we all know I have a strange affinity for advice books, particularly love advice book. I have probably read every dating advice book known to man. As I was listen to Cosmo radio the other day, which I do every day, (If you have satellite radio, listen, its addicting.) They were talking to a girl who is a dating coach and just wrote the book, "You Lost Him at Hello: A Saleswoman's Secrets to Closing the Deal with Any Guy You Want." Obviously I was intrigued. This woman sounded so smart, and everything she saying I was eating it all up. I wanted to take notes but I was driving and that is definitely not a good combo. So needless to say I could not wait to get home and log on and buy this book! I just knew it would be exactly what I needed to get a man. As I was logging on to Amazon, my book collection caught my eye. I noticed that I had a lot of books, and they were all strangely related. I saw, "He's Just Not that Into You," "Face it, You're Not that into Him Either," "Don't Get Lucky, Get Smart," "How to Find the Man of Your Dreams," "Finding Mr. Right," and "Why Men Love Bitches." I have entirely too many dating books and here I am about to buy another one! I have read all of the previously named books cover to cover, some of them even multiple times. Why waste money on a new one when all of these books have obviously not worked. Check my Facebook status, it still says "single." What would be so different about this book that it would actually work for me? I really started to wonder if I could get my money back from my collection of dating books. Don't the authors promise you'll fall in love? There should definitely be a money back guarantee on dating books. Well, I then realized that the common factor in this situation is me. Different book, same reader. Needless to say I x'ed out of Amazon before I got sick to my stomach realizing that I was about to purchase yet another dating book. I really am OK with my single status, so why do I continue to buy these books? It is because the authors do such an amazing job promising love to whoever readers their book. They come on Cosmo radio and talk about their successful love lives and single gals like me become green with envy. I listen to them talk and they sound smart and witty. They tell the amazing store of how they met their soulmate and I can't help but want that. So of course I am going to go buy their book. Logic says if I buy book then I fall in love. Obviously not. Someone needs to write a book on how fabulous single life is. These books make falling in love a game that sounds way to easy, I am living proof that it is not. So please stop writing books on how you made your love life successful and make me feel even more lame for being single. If you talk about it, I will buy your book. I will read your book cover to cover, get my hopes up, and then the book will be added the the collection on my desk and I will be waiting for the next dating book to come around. What a slippery slope of doom.

No comments: