Saturday, April 10, 2010

It finally happened.

If you read over my posts, there is a common theme of single-ness. It is no secret that I have been single for quite some time. I have written many, many times about my lack of a love life. I'd like to think my single status has been a great inspiration for many of my writings. Well, now I have a new source of inspiration that will change my writing completely. Instead of thoughts coming from a 20 something single girl, you guessed it, I am someone's girlfriend. I know, I am just as shocked as you are. I'm not used to the word "girlfriend" and probably won't be for quite some time.

How did this happen, who is he? Well, in February  I attended a convention for Republicans all across the country. For a few days I was lucky enough to fraternize with other conservatives. Needless to say, I was in my element. On the very first day, I (literally) ran into a cadet from my home state. I noticed his uniform and of course had to mention that I was from the great state of South Carolina as well. I got nothing more than his name before the Senator I was waiting to speak to came around the corner. That was that. The next night, a group of us went to dinner at a sushi place. The dinner literally took three hours so there was plenty of conversation time. Someone mentioned that a table near us was a group from South Carolina, naturally I had to go over. While chatting with some girls a guy at the end of the table shouted, "Hey, I met you yesterday." Um, you did? Because I am pretty sure I would have remembered meeting someone as good looking as you. But I played along. You guessed it, my cadet. We chatted for a while and the conversation ended in him taking my phone number. I still thought nothing of it because I was used to a guy asking for my number, and then never calling. I went on with my night without hearing from the cadet and forgot about it. The next night, my phone rang. It was my last night there, but we ended up going to dinner with a group and hanging out the rest of the night. I didn't assume to hear from him once I left for Alabama and he went to South Carolina. For some strange reason, he did keep in touch. I am not exactly sure what I did right, but apparently I did something because after a month of talking back and forth, I was no longer a single girl.

It is a strange feeling for me and I don't exactly think I am good at this whole girlfriend thing. Especially since I have gotten myself into a long distance relationship. It is still new and we are still learning about each other. We have a lot in common, after all it was our love of the GOP and South Carolina that brought us together. From now on, you can expect to be updated and I am sure you will enjoy me attempting to be a good girlfriend.

No comments: