Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Real World: South

May brings my favorite time of the year: wedding season. (No, I am not getting married, keep reading.) But  May also brings another season, graduation season. It is the time of year people are packing up and moving on with their lives. I normally don't really care about graduation season, but this year is a little different.

This May, my baby brother will graduate high school. First of all, in my eyes he is still 12 so I am confused as to why he is graduating? But, realistically speaking, he is actually 17 and he is graduating and going to  very fine southern university in the fall. This scares the heck out of me. He is my baby brother and in a few weeks, I will see him graduate high school. I will probably cry more than my mom. He is insanely talented and I just wish he knew the great things he will do in life. Ladies, he is going to be THE catch, but be warned, I am VERY protective. It is strange for me to think of all the things I have watch him go through. Good times and very bad times, he has become a young man right before my eyes. Every day I am reminded how old I am when I think of how old he is getting. I wish I could make it stop!

This May also touches my heart for another reason, it is the last graduation I am not a part of. Tonight in chapter we had senior speeches. For the past three years I have listened to people I don't know cry about graduating and leaving their friends behind. This year, it was people I actually liked who were up their telling stories about their past four years. It is bittersweet to know that exactly one year from now I will be up their crying about leaving.


I don't feel old enough for this, I feel so young. I still feel like a naive little freshman wondering wide eyed around campus. It is hard to believe I have been here for three years, I am most definitely not the same person I was when I came here. Lessons have been learned and mistakes have been made, but all of it has made me into who I am. I don't want to grow up, I'd like to stay a kid forever, but unfortunately Never Never Land only exist in a Disney movie. When I realize how my life is slowly starting to fall into place, it creeps me out. I have watched my older brother find a girl and settle down (which I thought I would never see.) I have seen my little brother break out of his shell and become the best guy I know, who would have thought I'd look up to my baby brother one day? I have seen friends go and come and fall apart. I have been at the lowest of lows and the highest of highs. I have had my heart broken. I have found my bridesmaids. I have failed a class and I have made A's in classes. And who would have thought after three years of being the single gal I'd find a true Southern Gent to call my own? 

My life is falling into place whether I want it to or not. I could continue to pout about growing up and how I wish it would stop, but that would be wasting time. Instead, I am going to make the very most of the next year. I will go to football games even if it is monsooning outside. I will go to drink specials, just because. I will go out even if I have a test the next day. I will always answer the phone when a friend calls. I will continue to show up at my big bro's house without calling even though he yells at me because it's the only way I see him. I will call my baby bro to make sure he is alive and doing what he needs to be doing. I will make it a point to go see my cadet do all his funky military school stuff, because it is important to him. I will laugh as much as I can, cry when I need to and I will absolutely never hold anything back. 

Here's to my last year as a college kid.

No comments: