Sunday, December 20, 2009

The elephant in the room.

Holidays are a wonderful time. There's plenty of good food, quality time with family, time with family you didn't even know you had, and did I mention food? Well, unfortunately every family must deal with the inevitable what do to when a family member is no longer there. Of course everyone will notice the empty space, everyone knows someone is missing, but do you speak of it? Everyone grieves in different ways. Some people are private and others want to be open about it. There is no right or wrong, you just do what is best for you. But what about when other people are involved? Who is going to be the one to mention the unmentionable? As for me, I'd rather not talk about it. It is not that I have no respect and that I do not miss my grandfather, because I do. But I just don't think he would want us to sit around and weep over his empty seat. I think he would be mad that we were wasting time being sad when we could be eating. I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, so what to do you do when someone brings it up? Tears are bound to start flowing which can make others feel awkward. I know that tears are good, you need to let them out every now and then. I just can't help but think of Papa and even hear him say, "You quit that!" Christmas shouldn't be a sad time, it is the most wonderful time of the year! (Pun intended.) So while I know I must just sit back and let others grieve and say what they feel is right, I know that all I can do is be happy. I know I shouldn't smile while others are crying, but how can I not? Instead of celebrating with us, Papa is in heaven. I know Papa loved us more than anything, but he knew that his true home was in heaven. I know he would rather be here with us, but I think he wants us to know that we shouldn't cry over the fact that he is spending Christmas is heaven, that is something to be celebrated. But as humans, selfish is our nature and we will spend all our lives telling God how unfair it is that Papa is gone, but that's not what Papa would want us to do. Instead of wishing that Papa was here, sleeping while we all open presents, we should take comfort in the fact that he is sleeping in a much better place. Even though his chair is empty, his throne in heaven is full. If you ask me, Papa not being here is a true Christmas miracle, and a constant reminder that heaven does exist, and I must keep my head held high. I know that one day we will all have Thrift-mas in heaven (if they can handle us.) So, Papa we miss you, and I know there will be tears today, but I promise to smile for you, I might even laugh a little, because I know you are laughing at us all the way from you chair in heaven.

No comments: